Tuesday 7th March 2017 saw the return of the Northern Broiler Conference. Proving that last year’s event was indeed ‘well worth attending’, David Montgomerie and Alistair Miller from our Sales team, once again enjoyed the shared knowledge and networking opportunities offered by the event.
After the Chairman’s welcome, by John Vincent (Quality Assurance Director, Cobb Europe), five presentation were given on a variety of broiler related topics:
- Duncan Priestman (Chairman NFU National Poultry Board), spoke about the how the NFU was handling the changing times ahead, where AI and its effect on the industry was discussed together with how the NFU liaises with government and the retailers;
- A very interesting and detailed talk was given by Dr Linnea Newman (Global Poultry, Director of Scientific Marketing Affairs MSD), on the changing trends in Coccidiosis control and how vaccines might be used to better effect in managing performance;
- Randy Borg (Director for European Genetics Cobb Vantress Inc.) explained how still more efficiencies will be delivered through key broiler genetics;
- An insight in to the grain market and a view of the future market outlook was presented by Simon Christensen (Grain Director, Frontier Agriculture Ltd);
- The last presentation by Christine Agnes-Montegu (Elanco Regional Retail Leader, Global Food Industry Team), suggested that poultry farming could be reconciled with consumer expectation by holding more farm open days to raise consumer confidence.
Closing remarks were delivered by Danny Johnson (National Sales Manager, Poultry & Game ABN).
Well done to the Poultry Conference organisers- another brilliant event.